How To Repair Corrupted MKV Videos
Summary: In this article, we will focus on the uncommon video format: MKV, and teach users to repair corrupted MKV videos using Bitwar Video Repair.
Table of Contents
Overview MKV File
Matroska Multimedia Container is a free and open container format, which can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture, or subtitle tracks in one file. It is a universal format for storing common multimedia content, like movies or TV shows.
A video file with the .mkv extension is a video container much like MOV and AVI, or Advanced Systems Format (ASF), but is entirely open in specification, with implementations consisting mainly of open-source software. MKV is also the basis of WebM video. It is mainly dedicated to the development of a high-quality, open online video format.
Reasons for MKV Video Corruption
Although the MKV format is the new production, but like other video formats, there are various reasons that may result in an unplayable MKV file. Some common ones are:
- The player doesn’t support the MKV file.
- There are problems with the system/device on which you’re trying to play the video.
- The MKV video file is corrupt due to human fault, virus and malware attacks, and so on.
- Outdated video drivers.
- Bad sectors on the hard drive.
Basic Methods to Repair Corrupted MKV Videos
As we know, if your MKV videos are unplayable, the reason might not always be corruption. Try the three basic methods below first before moving on to repairing the corrupt MKV videos.
- Update the Video Drivers: If your video card drivers are outdated, immediately update them and try to play the MKV file again.
- Download Supporting Codecs: Not all media players support MKV format. So you can either play the MKV file in a media player that has compatible codecs or download the MKV compatible codecs.
- Download the MKV File Again: Interruption during download can corrupt MKV files. In such a case, downloading the MKV video again will easily fix the problem.
Advanced Methods to Repair Corrupted MKV Videos
Method 1: VLC Media Player
You can fix minor corruption and other issues in MKV files with the VLC media player. Here are the steps to do so:
- Change the MKV file extension to .avi.
- Launch VLC player and then go to Tools > Preferences > Inputs/Codecs.
- In the Inputs/Codecs settings window, choose Always fix in the Damaged or incomplete AVI file option.
If you’re unable to fix the MKV file with the VLC media player, the only option to repair the file is by using a trusted software, such as Bitwar Video Repair.
Method 2: Bitwar Video Repair
Bitwar Video Repair is a powerful, reliable, and easy-to-use software to repair corrupt MKV video files. This software supports batch repairing all sorts of damaged and corrupted video files from any recording device including MP4, MOV, MPEG, MJPEG, MTS, M2TS, M4V, MKV, AVI, AVCHD, etc. You can obtain intact MKV videos after using the simple 5 steps below:
- Open Bitwar Video Repair and click Add Files to select the corrupted MKV videos.
- You can also click the Add to select more videos to batch repair them.
- Click the Repair or Batch Repair to repair the videos.
- Preview the repaired files before saving them. You can open the repaired files to check if the MKV videos are really repaired.
This article introduces two methods to repair corrupted MKV videos, including VLC and Bitwar Video Repair. With the help of various professional video repair software, video repair becomes especially easy. So the next time you encounter no matter what format video damage issues, you can refer to the two methods mentioned in this article to repair them.
Previous ArticleMethods To Fix The Faulty Hardware Corrupted Page Error Summary: In this article, we will focus on the uncommon video format: MKV, and teach users to repair corrupted MKV...
Next ArticleWhat’s New in Bitwar Text Scanner V22.214.171.124 Summary: In this article, we will focus on the uncommon video format: MKV, and teach users to repair corrupted MKV...
About Bitwar Video Repair
Batch repair all sorts of damage and corrupt video files from any recording devices.Learn More